Greetings from Karuizawa!
My apologies for not sending a newsletter last Friday. For the next few weeks the newsletter will go out late (Mondays or Tuesdays) because of schedule conflicts due to overseas travel.
As you may have heard…
We experienced our first major snowfall of the year last night, and it continues today! The snow is up to our knees so far! Thankfully as a boarding school, classes are meeting as usual with the exception of those taught by teachers who live off campus. Road conditions are very bad so we’ve asked our office staff and off campus teachers to stay home.
Here are some pictures of our winter wonderland:
If you’d like to see more photos from the surrounding area, here is a link to some webcams and still pictures of Karuizawa:
The information is in Japanese but you can click “English” at the top for a rough translation. Or stick with Japanese and scroll down the page for the links to the cameras/photos.
Just yesterday our campus looked like this!
As you may know, our calendar for next school year is impacted by the construction timeline for our new buildings, and it has taken some time for us to determine the best dates for the start of school. Here is some information to help you plan ahead:
End of the 2015-2016 school year:
• Students may leave campus to return home after 5 pm on Friday June 3 or any time on Saturday, June 4.
Start of the 2016-2017 school year:
• Returning G11/12 students arrive Monday, August 15. Students may return a few days early if absolutely necessary. This is in the middle of the very busy Obon holiday travel period, so please plan accordingly.
• All G10 and new G11 students arrive Thursday, August 18
• G10-12 Orientation from Friday, August 19 to Sunday, August 28
• Classes begin on August 29
We will be providing more information about the 2016-2017 school calendar in a few weeks.
– Ms. Murabayashi, ISAK Assistant Head of School