Welcome to your all-in-one travel guide for reaching UWC ISAK Japan in beautiful Karuizawa. Whether you’re coming from within Japan, traveling from overseas, or driving to the campus, this guide offers detailed information on various transportation options, tips, and reminders to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey. Read on to learn more and start planning your trip today.
Karuizawa is easily accessible from major cities like Tokyo and Nagano via public transportation, mainly through the Shinkansen (bullet train) and local trains.
The Hokuriku Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Karuizawa Station takes approximately 65-75 minutes. Trains run frequently throughout the day. Look for the Hakutaka or Asama trains.
For a more budget-friendly option, you can take a highway bus from Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal (Busta Shinjuku) in Tokyo to Karuizawa Station. The journey takes approximately 2 hours and 40 minutes.
The Hokuriku Shinkansen from Nagano Station to Karuizawa Station takes around 30 minutes. The Hakutaka and Asama trains all stop at Karuizawa Station.
Alternatively, you can take the Shinano Railway Line from Nagano Station to Karuizawa Station. This journey takes approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes and provides a more leisurely experience through the countryside.
Traveling from Overseas
If you’re traveling to UWC ISAK Japan from outside Japan, your journey will typically begin at one of the following airports:
- Narita International Airport (NRT) or Haneda International Airport (HND) – Tokyo
- Chubu Centrair International Airport (NGO) – Nagoya
- Kansai International Airport (KIX) – Osaka
From these airports, take a train or bus to Tokyo or Nagano and follow the directions provided in the “Reaching Karuizawa” section.
Getting to UWC ISAK Japan from Karuizawa Station
Once you’ve arrived at Karuizawa Station, there are several transportation options to reach UWC ISAK Japan’s campus, which is approximately 13 kilometers away.
Taxis are readily available outside Karuizawa Station, and the ride to the campus takes around 25-30 minutes.
Take the Karuizawa town circulation bus (North line/Uchi-mawari) from Naka-karuizawa station, get off at the “Ohinata” bus stop. From the bus stop, it’s a 15 minute walk to the campus.
If you’re up for an adventure, consider renting a bicycle at Karuizawa Station and cycling to the campus. The ride takes about 45-60 minutes, depending on your pace.
Driving to UWC ISAK Japan
If you prefer to drive to UWC ISAK Japan, the campus is accessible by car from major cities and airports. Here are some general guidelines and estimated driving times:
UWC ISAK Japan
5827-136 Nagakura, Karuizawa,
Kitasaku-gun, Nagano 389-0111
(from overseas please add country code +81)
Directions & Map from Karuizawa Station
Click here for a PDF map with directions to UWC ISAK Japan from Karuizawa Station.
The drive from Tokyo to UWC ISAK Japan takes approximately 2.5 to 3 hours, depending on traffic. Take the Kanetsu Expressway, followed by the Joshinetsu Expressway. Exit at the Usui-Karuizawa Interchange and follow local roads to the campus.
Driving from Nagano to the campus takes about 1.5 hours. Take the Joshinetsu Expressway and exit at the Usui-Karuizawa Interchange. Then, follow local roads to the campus.
From Narita International Airport (NRT) or Haneda International Airport (HND)
The drive from either airport to UWC ISAK Japan takes approximately 3 to 4 hours. Follow the appropriate expressways towards Tokyo and then continue with the directions provided for driving from Tokyo.
From Chubu Centrair International Airport (NGO) – Nagoya
The drive from Nagoya to the campus takes around 4 hours. Take the Tomei Expressway, followed by the Chuo Expressway and Joshinetsu Expressway. Exit at the Usui-Karuizawa Interchange and follow local roads to the campus.
From Kansai International Airport (KIX) – Osaka
The drive from Osaka to UWC ISAK Japan takes approximately 6 hours. Take the Meishin Expressway, followed by the Chuo Expressway and Joshinetsu Expressway. Exit at the Usui-Karuizawa Interchange and follow local roads to the campus.
Please note that these driving times are approximate and may vary depending on traffic conditions. Remember to follow the traffic rules in Japan and make sure you have a valid driving permit or an international driving license, as required.
Tips and Reminders
Be sure to check train and bus schedules in advance as they may change seasonally or during holidays.
- Consider purchasing a Japan Rail (JR) Pass if you plan to explore other parts of Japan during your visit. The pass allows unlimited travel on JR trains, including the Shinkansen, for a fixed period.
- If you’re traveling with large luggage, consider using a luggage delivery service (takkyubin) to send your bags directly to the campus.
- For those driving to campus, ensure that you have a valid driving permit or an international driving license, as required by Japanese law.
- Familiarize yourself with Japanese traffic rules and regulations before driving, as some rules may differ from your home country.
- Use a GPS or navigation app to avoid getting lost, and factor in potential traffic or road closures when planning your arrival time.
- Be prepared for tolls when driving on expressways in Japan. Carry cash or a prepaid card, like ETC (Electronic Toll Collection), to cover the costs.
- Parking on campus may be limited, so check with the school in advance to confirm the availability of parking spaces and any related regulations or fees.
- Don’t forget to have a mobile phone or other communication device handy in case of emergencies or last-minute changes to your travel plans.
Now that you have a comprehensive guide to various transportation options, you’re well-prepared for your journey to UWC ISAK Japan. Whether you’re coming from within Japan, traveling from overseas, or driving to the campus, this guide ensures a smooth and enjoyable trip. Safe travels, and we look forward to welcoming you to UWC ISAK Japan!