Advisory is a place and time where a group of students, supported by an advisor, connect and spend quality time together while working toward outcomes that are in line with UWC ISAK Japan’s mission and vision.
- Build relationships
- Encourage open dialogue and reflection
- Support each other in our growth
- Provide students with an academic and social liaison
- Support each other in developing leadership skills by:
- Identifying what is important and needed for self and others
- Taking action in the face of discomfort
- Using diversity as a strength
- Supporting others in this practice
The students in advisory groups often live in different residences, so advisory is a great way to get to know other students on campus. Advisory is a non-graded activity and it can be a great space to just relax and be yourself. Groups are encouraged to develop a positive, close-knit atmosphere. Advisory groups may occasionally eat meals together on or off campus, go on cultural trips to Karuizawa and other local venues, and create their own group activities and entertainment. Each advisory is different, but all the groups aim to create a positive, supporting environment for their members.
“Advisory was awesome because we laughed, talked and bonded like a family. There is a sense of togetherness that I did not think I would experience.”
-Jimcaale (Class of 2017, Somalia)