Community service is an integral part of life at ISAK and an important way students can work toward positive change. Since the beginning of the school year, our inaugural 10th grade class has created several student-led activities that are helping to bring positive change to the local Karuizawa community.
What are ISAK students doing?
Here are just a few of the student-led community service projects:
- Teaching English at a Karuizawa elementary school
- Visiting elderly neighbors at a local nursing home
- Engaging with local high school students through a friendship club
- Hosting community events on the ISAK campus
- Developing fundraising initiatives for local service organizations
The ISAK students use their Design Innovation skills to constantly evaluate and improve upon their weekly community service work. Volunteer activities are documented into a digital document so students can review and reflect upon their efforts. Outcomes from previous experiences help students generate new ideas for the future. Ideas are categorized by the students into three groups: For Us, For the Community, and For the Larger World.
We’re inspired by a 10th grade class so clearly focused on what they can do to work for positive change!